(See detailed Term of Reference at APCOM website / "Work with Us")
APCOM is a not-for-profit regional organisation based in Bangkok, Thailand, representing and working with a network of individuals and community-based organisations across 38 countries in Asia and the Pacific.
APCOM works to improve the health and rights of gay men, other men who have sex with men and SOGIESC people across Asia and the Pacific.
APCOM has a primary focus on HIV because it is a key health issue for gay men and other men who have sex with men in the region. APCOM also address other related health issues for our communities such as sexual health, mental health and drug use.
APCOM also focuses on improving relevant human and legal rights across the region as discrimination, stigma, criminalization and exclusion impact on the health outcomes of the communities we serve.
Scope of Work
The primary responsibility of Communications Officer is to strategically lead APCOM’s internal and external communication efforts and to identify, develop and manage strategic partnerships for resource mobilization and technical cooperation. The position is also expected to work closely with other units in APCOM in developing accountability products for APCOM’s stakeholders. Specifically, the Communications Officer have the following roles and responsibilities:
• Manage and lead APCOM’s work on social and behavioural communications change (SBCC), especially on U=U, by working closely with the key population networks at country level, formulating key messages, and identifying platforms for communications-related activities;
• Contribute to the organising of the regional consultation on Undetectable=Untransmissible (U=U) by developing communications strategy for the event;
• Provide assistance to country-level partners in developing and finalising their respective work plans to implement SBCC using the principles of U=U;
• Provide technical assistance and on-site support to country-level partners during the implementation of the SBCC in identifying the challenges, providing recommendations, in revising work plans accordingly;
• Assist in conducting country-based workshops and trainings to increase the engagement of key populations and their organised networks with the Country Operational Plan (COP)/Regional Operational Plan (ROP);
• Develop fact sheets and other related documents to increase key population’s understanding 2 on Global Fund and PEPFAR;
• Develop, implement and evaluate integrated communications strategies for the organisation, incorporating online communications and PR events and activities, regionally and internationally;
• Develop relationships with media and public relations agencies to secure and grow media coverage and visibility, both nationally and internationally;
• Write press releases for national and international media;
• Ensure strong implementation and consistency of APCOM’s organisational brand internally and externally;
• Develop innovative communication materials that will help create visibility, broker partnerships and mobilise resources;
• Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for income generation, fundraising and accountability efforts, including annual reports, policy briefs;
• Develop, maintain organisation’s integrated communication database
• Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• University degree. Candidates with a major in marketing management, communications or business administration will be preferred.
• A minimum of 8 years of experience in a strategic management role for a similar organisation in communications, public relations, marketing, fundraising and/or, event management.
• Highly articulate individual with excellent written communication and presentation skills is essential.
• Experience of engaging with a wide range of stakeholders including government bodies, academic institutions, corporate donors, UN agencies, bilateral/multilateral donors, CSOs etc.
• Ability to multi-task and work under pressure, with limited day-to-day support and a willingness to take on different projects and tasks as need arises.
• Strong ability to manage people and processes and respond to staff’s development needs.
• Strong planning and evaluation skills, including the capacity to analyse data and interpret and apply research and evaluation findings.
• Must have a cutting edge interest in social media and be abreast with the fast changing nature of social media and ensuring that new opportunities for engaging with customers are realized.
• Proven ability to lead communications and campaign development strategies in other HIV/ SRHR/ human rights organizations.
• Good understanding of key issues related to the health and human rights of gay men, men who have sex with men and transgender communities within Asia and the Pacific.
PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION:
If you think you have the passion, skills and qualifications for this position and would like to join our team please prepare your application by addressing each point listed in section ‘Knowledge and Skill Requirements’ in the above position description/brief in your cover letter. You are required to state how your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications relate to the position. It is recommended that you address each criterion separately in point form. You should use statements with examples that clearly demonstrate your competency in a particular area. Applicants who fail to demonstrate that they meet the requirements and failure to submit the concept note will not be invited to attend an interview. Please attach this application along with your CV, covering letter stating your proposed monthly rate and submit to the APCOM Secretariat by emailing JoinUs@apcom.org no later than (please see the closing date on APCOM’s website).
The completeness and relevance of your application will determine whether or not you are called for an interview. Where a large number of applicants meet the essential and desirable requirements, only those applicants who most strongly meet the requirements will be selected for interview.
Please ensure that you have attached and included the following information to ensure you application is complete.
☑ CV with 3 references
☑ Application addressing each point listed in Section ‘Knowledge and Skill Requirements’
☑ Cover Letter (Please explain how you meet the qualifications outlined in this Terms of reference, and why you consider yourself appropriate for the role. Please include proposed monthly salary in Thai Baht)
Contact : JoinUs@apcom.org