Organization : Save the Children International
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 13 Nov 2018
View : 516
Deadline : 21 / November / 2018
TITLE: Regional Media Manager – Asia
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Advocacy, Campaigns and Communications team (Asia Regional Office)
LOCATION: Asia based roles
CONTRACT LENGTH: 2 years
ROLE PURPOSE: The Regional Media Manager – Asia (RMM) is a key position within the regional Advocacy, Campaigns and Communications team, with a dotted line report to the Global Media Unit in London, helping to ensure Save the Children is a credible and powerful voice for the most vulnerable and marginalised children.
The successful candidate will lead Save the Children’s media work on high profile issues and crises across Asia, harnessing the power of national and international media to help us achieve our advocacy, campaign, brand, programmatic and fundraising goals.
The RMM will work closely with Country Offices who are carrying out their own national media outreach, including providing training and mentoring, editing media materials and supporting the development of national media strategies.
The post-holder will also work closely with advocacy, communications and campaigns colleagues around the world to ensure media outreach is strategic, impactful and targeted. They will identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with influential media, find and generate story ideas, develop crisp, newsworthy media materials in quick time, train and support spokespeople, and at times act as a spokesperson themselves.
The RMM will be required to travel regularly at short notice, including deploying to humanitarian crises at short notice. They will work in accordance with the news agenda, including reacting to breaking news, particularly in regard to child rights violations. They will be required to support on crisis communications and reputational issues when they arise, providing critical strategic media advice.
The successful candidate will lead in the development of media strategies that are ambitious and creative, delivering these strategies in a collaborative manner across Asia.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Regional Advocacy and Campaigns Director – Asia, with a dotted line report to the Head of the Global Media Unit.
Staff reporting to this post: None, however, interns may be recruited on temporary basis if required.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- To lead Save the Children’s media work in Asia, responding to journalist inquiries and being the organisation’s media focal point in the region
- To develop, facilitate sign off for and distribute a range of media materials to support SC Member media outreach, including press releases, b-roll, case studies, photos, Q&As, key messages, red lines and blogs/op-eds
- To identify media moments and under-reported stories in Asia, and develop plans and strategies to reach high profile media outlets
- To work with Country Offices, ARO, Members, the GMU and media outlets to support media trips to visit SC programmes while ensuring child safeguarding protocols are upheld
- To be a spokesperson for Save the Children in Asia
- To support in the recruitment of key media positions within SC Country Offices in Asia
- To support in crisis communication work for Asia
Media work in emergencies
- Regional lead on Save the Children’s media work on emergencies in Asia, ensuring the aid agency is among the leading public voices in the region
- To deploy to disaster zones at short notice if required, often working extended hours during times of crisis
- To work with Country offices to develop high quality media products in emergencies in extremely quick time, in line with Save the Children’s Quality Framework and humanitarian response and preparedness essential standards for country offices
- To pitch media stories to journalists reporting on emergencies
- Prior to emergencies, to work with Country Offices to ensure they are adequately prepared for a humanitarian crisis, including identifying and training spokespeople and ensuring COs are familiar with key media and communications procedures and timelines in the first stages of an emergency response
- To dedicate appropriate time to media strategy and support of Save the children’s work on the Rohingya response working in coordination with response team and local media leads
Networking and partnership
- To build and maintain strong relations with key journalists and editors across Asia, including Asia correspondents of international media, regional media and leading national media
- To develop and regularly update a list of key media contacts in the region
- To support Country Offices to develop a list of key media contacts at the national level
- To ensure timely dissemination of media products to Save the Children members and key media contacts in the region.
- To coordinate and facilitate journalists’ visits to Save the Children programmes in Asia
Support to countries and capacity building
- To provide ongoing support and advice to Country Offices about how to work with the media and developing national media strategies
- To support Country Offices through mentoring, including editing press releases, Q&As and op-eds
- To build the media capacity of Country Offices and new member offices through media training workshops, both in person and via webinars
- To assist CO and Asia member offices with developing strategic media work for global, regional and national priorities
Strategy and media products
- To support the development and implementation of media strategies at CO or RO level in line with country advocacy, programs & campaigns plans to ensure Save the Children is effectively using the media to raise awareness, shape attitudes and influence decision-makers
- To source, generate and develop news lines and stories in Asia that are newsworthy, including the public profile of Save the Children’s advocacy work, programmes and campaigns
- To tailor and adapt global media products for the Asian market/s, including press releases, Q&As and media briefs
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- University degree in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least five years' experience as a journalist in a credible news organisation OR equivalent experience as a Media & Communications Manager in an international humanitarian or development agency, and experience of dealing in the international media environment
- Significant experience of working overseas in humanitarian programmes
- Experience of leading media activities in a challenging environment
- Fluent in at least English
- Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills producing materials for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the 'general public'
- Experience of effective spokes-personing across a range of media
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to produce compelling media products such as press releases, key messages/speaking points and Q&As
- The ability to digest complex information, quickly, and express this crisply and clearly
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work for limited periods within programmes under pressure of running emergency responses
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and other capacity building activities to varied audiences, ideally within a country programme.
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word
- Excellent understanding of media and campaigning activities
- Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children.
- In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus, and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Photography and multimedia skills
- Asian language skills an advantage
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Candidates may apply at : https://www.savethechildren.net/careers/
Closing date for submission: 21 November 2018
Please indicate in the subject as “Apply for Regional Media Manager – Asia_(Name of candidate)”
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
“We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse”
Contact : https://www.savethechildren.net/careers/
ผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager