Organization : IJM Foundation
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 17 Dec 2018
View : 444
Deadline : 7 / January / 2019
Director of Legal, Bangkok (Thai National)
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: Competitive salary with benefits
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
IJM has worked in northern Thailand through IJM’s Chiang Mai field office (FO) since 2000, partnering with government authorities on hill tribe Thai citizenship cases and cases of sexual violence against children. In 2017, IJM started a new field office in Bangkok and in 2018 IJM Foundation was established to provide support to Thai authorities to eliminate labor trafficking and forced labor from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM Foundation lawyers, fieldworkers, social workers and other professionals will support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and labor trafficking crimes and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
IJM Foundation is seeking a Director of Legal to help us secure justice for victims of forced labor and hold accountable perpetrators of forced labor and human trafficking crimes. The position is responsible for managing a team of lawyers and a caseload of criminal cases in Thailand, setting team goals and priorities, setting a standard of excellent preparation and performance, hard work, empathy, the highest ethical standards, and liaising with government officials.
The qualified candidate will be a smart, motivated, analytical, and talented high-achieving Thai lawyer with 5-7 years’ experience of legal practice in criminal court, a corporate legal department or as a litigator at a private law firm or NGO. The successful candidate will have exceptional written and spoken English language skills and a passion to protect the poor and vulnerable from violence by using their legal skills. The position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and may require travel within Thailand or internationally. This position reports to the Foundation Deputy Director, Bangkok.
- Train and lead legal team to bring rescue to victims and accountability to perpetrators of forced labor and human trafficking crimes under Thai law;
- Supervise and review all legal research and drafting of legal documents to guide IJM Foundation strategy;
- Lead weekly case management meetings with legal team;
- Provide advice on policy level decisions to IJM Foundation departments and to IJM Foundation’s work in the area of forced labor and human trafficking.
- Ensure IJM Foundation legal program adheres to highest standards of legal and professional ethics;
- Manage all aspects of the legal docket pertaining to IJM Foundation cases;
- Manage legal team activities, ensuring activities and objectives are achieved;
- Provide timely, concise and thorough reports on legal achievements and challenges;
- Develop annual legal department budget, manage spending of funds in accordance with IJM Foundation’s budget and stewardship principles.
- Fully understand criminal code and procedure as well as current and future laws and procedure related to forced labor and human trafficking crimes;
- Guide IJM Foundation’s strategy to support public prosecutors in forced labor and human trafficking criminal cases; join cases as a private lawyer to represent IJM Foundation clients;
- Lead preparation of written briefs, memoranda and arguments for use in court;
- Develop and implement litigation plans for each case;
- Pursue criminal and civil remedies for victims of forced labor and human trafficking;
- Represent victims in court proceedings, including pre-trial hearings, trial and appeal;
- Obtain accountability for perpetrators through conviction, asset seizure, or other penalties, and justice for victims, including compensation or payment of unpaid wages;
- Advise the IJM Foundation Law Enforcement Coordination Department in preparation of cases;
- Advise and assist the IJM Foundation Aftercare Department on legal matters pertaining to effective care of victims of trafficking;
- Provide training to government authorities and other IJM Foundation partners on legal issues related to forced labor and human trafficking offenses, laws and criminal procedure.
- Excel at interpersonal relations with a range of persons from government officials to victims;
- Develop relationships with prosecutors, court officials, lawyers, police and NGOs with whom IJM Foundation can partner in forced labor exploitation and human trafficking;
- Work closely with the Foundation Deputy Director and other IJM Foundation department heads, including Aftercare, Law Enforcement Coordination, and Public Engagement to achieve IJM Foundation’s goals.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information;
- Carry out additional assignments given by the Foundation Deputy Director.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Law from an accredited Thai university required; Master’s Degree in Law preferred (L.L.M.).
- License to practice law in Thailand.
- 5-7 years’ experience practicing law in criminal court, a corporate legal department or as a litigator at a private law firm or NGO.
- Exceptional written and spoken communication in English and Thai.
- Minimum of one year experience managing a legal team and litigation docket.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Experience securing cooperation of government officials preferred.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Thai national.
- Attention to detail, organized, and disciplined with priorities.
- Professional in presentation and in written and oral communication.
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
- Sound judgment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to take initiative and provide
- Winsome personality and positive attitude.
- Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM Foundation’s mission.
- Please download the IJM Foundation application form via this link: http://bit.ly/2hyjWZX
- Submit your application to: BangkokRecruiting@ijm.org
- Only completed applications will be reviewed (IJM Foundation Job Application Form, CV, and cover letter).
- Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Contact : BangkokRecruiting@ijm.org