Organization : UN Resident Coordinator
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 5 Feb 2019
View : 1031
Deadline : 21 / February / 2019
This is a national professional post in the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Bangkok, who coordinates the work of the UN Country Team (18 UN agencies) in support of the Sustainable Development Goals. The Programme Communications and Advocacy Officer is responsible for the support to the collective communication activities of the UN Country Team, social media outreach, and advocacy activities.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This is a national professional post in the United Nations Resident Coordinator Office (RCO) in Bangkok.
The UN Resident Coordinator (RC) is the designated representative of the UN Secretary-General for development activities and the team leader of the UN Country Team (UNCT), which in Thailand is composed of 18 UN agencies, who have projects and programmes in Thailand. The Resident Coordinator Office supports the UN Resident Coordinator in his/her coordination of the UN Country Team and liaison with national partners.
In July 2017, the UN Country Team signed with the Royal Thai Government the United Nations Partnership Framework (UNPAF) Thailand for 2017-2021. The UN Country Team agencies monitor and report on the UN's contributions within the framework of the UNPAF and of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Office of the UN Resident Coordinator (RCO) in Thailand, currently a team of five staff, provides strategic and secretariat supports to the RC and the UN Country Team to effectively coordinate the work of the UN agencies to implement the UNPAF and advance the Sustainable Development Goals . The RCO is located within the main UN office in Bangkok. The position is a national professional position and will report to the Team Leader of the Resident Coordinator’s Office.
In December 2017, the UN Secretary-General’s report entitled “Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: our promise for dignity, prosperity and peace on a healthy planet” was issued. This report puts forward a comprehensive proposal on further improvements to the RC System to ensure more coherent, accountable and effective support for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda). This was further reinforced by General Assembly resolution 72/279 of 1 June 2018, which gave the UN Secretary-General the mandate to implement the repositioning.
A reinvigorated RC system is at the center of a repositioned United Nations development system, and while the system has been instrumental in driving coherence on the ground over the past four decades, it is now insufficiently robust to respond to the needs of the 2030 Agenda. The report stresses that RCOs will need to be adequately staffed to ensure sufficient substantive capacities to lead UN Country Team. The core capacity will include experts in coordination, economics, results monitoring and evaluation, and strategic partnerships, plus a robust standing communications capacity within the UN Country Team.
Responsibilities: This post is part of a new generation of RCOs, with a new skill set and competencies required to deliver on the 2030 Agenda.
Summary of Functions:
- Participates in strategy advocacy and programme communications in support of the UN Partnership Framework (UNPAF)
- Assists in partnership building and media relations
- Contributes to digital communications
- Supports publications and branding management
Description of Functions:
- Participates in strategy advocacy and programme communications in support of the UNPAF
- Supports the UN Communications Group in Thailand, a group of communication focal points in UNCT member agencies;
- Supports the development of a long-term communication strategy in line with the UNPAF five-year cycle in collaboration with the UN Communications Group and the RCO colleagues responsible for data management and results reporting;
- Supports the development of an annual work plan for the UN Communications Group by identifying key communication opportunities, such as international and national commemorations, anniversaries, and large events;
- Participates in the organization of joint communication activities, such as joint events, online campaigns and programme visits showcasing the UN’s development impact;
- Provides timely inputs to the Communication Group and RC/UNCT on potential issues and risks to help manage reputational risks or crises, and suggests corrective actions;
- Prepares inputs to ensure the communication performance indicators are identified, incorporated, monitored and report on throughout the UNPAF cycle;
- Monitors and analyzes the media in the areas related to the UN’s mandates and programmes in the country.
- Assists in partnership building and media relations
- Assists the development of RCO’s long-term partnership and communication strategy and annual plan, including both online and offline activities;
- Drafts official briefing materials, talking points, speeches, statements, op-eds, and prepare presentations by UNCT/RC as necessary;
- Assists in expanding media-relation through closely working with key Thai and English national news outlets as well as international and regional news outlets;
- Assists in developing and updating media relations contact list/database;
- Monitor topics covered by the media in the areas related to the UN’s mandates and programmes in Thailand, as well as other issues relevant to the UN brand and positioning;
- Supports the RC/UNCT on public messaging in projecting UN’s image effectively and accurately as well as promoting transparency and accountability;
- Participates in engaging key partners, including government, civil society, private sector, donors, development partners, academia, and others to exchange information on the possible collaborations, such as on events, campaigns, and content development.
- Participates in public engagement on the UN’s role and work in country, including through programme visits showcasing the UN’s development impact
- Provides substantive support for digital communications
- Assists in maintaining digital external platforms such as the UN country team website as well as UN social media presence (Facebook, Twitter account etc.);
- Participates in the development and implementation of a digital content strategy and contributes to the development of key communication products (e.g. human-interest stories, photography, video, animations, etc.).
- Supports publications and branding management
- Assists the RC and UNCT in the preparation of joint UN publications, maintaining high quality standards and the correct application of the UN branding guidelines;
- Drafts inputs for the RC and UNCT on the use of the UN joint brand at country level across UN products, both offline and online.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Ability to undertake research, analyze data, make recommendations and write draft reports on sustainable development issues. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and observing deadlines and achieving results. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Accountability: Delivers outputs within prescribed time and quality standards.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in communications, journalism, business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of experience in programme communications and advocacy, marketing, or partnership development in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Good overall knowledge of and familiarity with communication trends and media landscape in Thailand is required.
- Experience in managing websites, social media accounts, and other digital platforms is desirable.
- Experience in using software or working with PR firms and designers to produce high-quality video, photos, and graphics is desirable.
- Experience in editing reports, articles, and other communication materials for general public in English and Thai is desirable.
- Able to work in a diverse team, with good communication skills and a collaborative approach
Language: Fluent Thai and English. Should have excellent writing skills in English
 Available at http://www.un.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ENG-UNPAF-2017-2021.pdf
 Available at https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/1473546?ln=en
 More information at https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld
 Available at http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/72/279
Interested candidates should submit applications online with UN personal History Form (P11) by 21 February 2019
This position is open for Thai nationals only.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Contact : https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=20889
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinator นักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative content developer ผู้ช่วย / Assistant