Organization : ICRC
Type : Other / อื่นๆ
Date : 3 Apr 2019
View : 322
Deadline : 5 / May / 2019
The ICRC Regional Delegation in Bangkok seeks to fill the following position:
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The purpose of the position is to initiate, strategize and conceptualise approaches to the IHL files for Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand. The scope includes engaging with interlocutors from academic and government institutions. The main objective is to build greater respect for and understanding of IHL among the authorities and academics of the four countries and develop the ICRC’s standing in the four countries as a reference for IHL.
The Legal Adviser is in charge of two main programmes: Implementation and promotion of IHL in national legislation and integration and promotion of IHL in academic circles of the Regional Delegation in Bangkok. He/She reports directly to and receives technical support from, the Regional Legal Adviser and, when needed, from the Advisory Services/Consult Division in Geneva.
- The Legal Adviser collaborates with other departments in analysing the situation in the four countries, advising and providing guidance on applicable domestic and international legal frameworks. He/She helps elaborate IHL key messages, organises and supports seminars, workshops and trainings on request.
National Implementation 50%:
- Drafts legal notes and analyses on legal aspects of working papers, reports, non-papers related to the objectives and strategies of the delegation and the region.
- Monitors developments in national implementation and supports studies and enquiries from the management of the Regional Delegation and the Advisory Services/Consult Division in Geneva.
- Drafts the PFR, identifies the resources needed and prepares and participates in the budget process.
- Maintains and develops contacts in the countries covered by the Regional Delegation, with the relevant authorities, think-tanks, academic circles and NGOs concerned by IHL and national legal issues.
- Proposes, organizes and participates in compatibility studies, seminars, national and international conferences relating to IHL and related bodies of law.
- Advises the management of the Regional Delegation during meetings with responsible authorities on legal issues and prepares background papers and non-papers.
- Works on projects of implementation of IHL Treaties, prepares legal comments on existing drafts and advises the concerned authorities.
- Contributes to maintain the IHL database of the ICRC website with relevant information concerning the countries covered by the Regional Delegation.
- Produces and up-dates legal fact-sheets on each country covered by the delegation.
Academic Circles 50%:
- Crafts an academic strategy to promote the dissemination and teaching of IHL in the academic institutions of the countries covered by the Regional Delegation.
- Implements these strategies, objectives and plans of action to achieve objectives.
- Develops and maintains a network in academic circles and disseminates IHL literatures and documents.
- Organises student competitions, seminars and courses in strategic universities, contributes to their organization and to the definition of the content of training sessions independently.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Masters’ degree in Law or equivalent in public international, including IHL or IHRL.
- Called to the bar/magistrate an advantage.
- Very good knowledge of IHL and of Thai national legislation.
- At least 4-5 years’ work experience in a similar function.
- Experience in teaching/dissemination, working in the government or judicial sector is an advantage.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Thai.
- Very good drafting skills and computer proficiency.
We offer a rewarding and enriching work in a humanitarian and international environment, and also:
- Dynamic and challenging work environment in the humanitarian international set-up.
- Attractive package depending on qualifications.
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org (specify position name at your email title)
Attn: Human Resources Department
Deadline for applications: 5 May 2019
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview
Contact : email@example.com