Organization : Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 17 May 2019
View : 356
Deadline : 31 / May / 2019
Vacancy: Climate Finance Consultant, IGES
Climate Finance Consultant
Type of employment:
1 July, 2019
Note: Applications for this position are processed on a rolling basis; qualified candidates shall be interviewed as applications come in. The vacancy posting will remain open until the position is filled. Potential candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is an independent think tank and strategic policy research institute that conducts innovative policy development and strategic research for environmental measures, reflecting the results of research into political decisions for realising sustainable development both in the Asia-Pacific region and globally. IGES works closely with national governments, local authorities, international organisations, research institutes, businesses, NGOs and local communities on various critical environmental issues including climate change mitigation and adaptation, forest and biodiversity conservation, water resource management, sustainable consumption and production, waste management, integrated policies for sustainable societies and sustainable cities.
With headquarters in Hayama, Japan, the Institute has a special focus on the Asia-Pacific region, with offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Kansai, Kitakyushu and Tokyo.
This position is based in the IGES Regional Centre in Bangkok (BRC).
- Profile of position
Duties and responsibilities
The selected consultant will support efforts to substantially scale up finance and investment in contributing to the objectives of the Paris Agreement, to integrate as rapidly as possible, the goals described by Articles 2, 4.1, and 7.1 into the conduct of all relevant economic and social development activities at the country level. An important part of this support is project level and programme finance that is aligned with the long term of objectives of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Specifically, the selected consultant will:
- Explore ways and means to assist developing country Parties in translating innovative ideas that have high transformative impact and game changer potential into bankable project proposals by identifying investment opportunities and setting up a project pipeline in a country-driven manner.
- Gather intelligence on source of finance, funding, facilities and/or platforms on climate finance. Compile and maintain the inventory of the financial instruments. Support the identification of a project pipeline, with up-to-date contact and details. Support the team in connecting project owners with access to finance and increased visibility for their projects among financiers and other market players, including through targeted engagements.
- Prepare a database of regional institutions working in climate finance and create a stakeholder mapping for selected countries to identify complementarities in the work of other actors, generate synergies, and establish partnerships with relevant national and international actors.
- Support in organizing, synthesizing and analysing information for the development of a national climate finance strategy as well as the enhancement and/or development of guidance tool for developing country Parties to support them in determining their priority needs to inform the preparation of their climate finance strategies.
- Assist in reaching out to key public & private financing institutions (domestic & international) to mobilize financing for the priority mitigation & adaptation projects and programmes identified by developing country Parties.
- Support the organization of in-country technical workshops, briefings and meetings to support the preparation of national climate finance strategies and the development of a matrix with financing solutions in developing country Parties.
- Develop business models and financial structures for identified investment opportunities in a way that meets the priorities of developing country Parties and aligns with the modalities and operations of the Green Climate Fund and other sources of finance.
- Understanding of international climate regime as well as main climate change dynamics and their potential impact and implications for developing country Parties;
- Expertise on climate change policies, frameworks, finance, science, and technologies;
- Expertise on domestic and international microeconomics as well as financial and monetary economics;
- Expertise on financial instruments and modalities and their use in the context of climate change/green investments;
- Expertise on capital mobilization, market access and capital market capabilities
- Minimum a Master’s Degree or equivalent in a field related to climate change policy, development finance/business or related subject.
- Minimum of 2 years of general professional experience
- Fluent command of both written and spoken English
- A working knowledge of Thai is a plus
- Previous experience with the Green Climate Fund is a plus
- Terms of Employment:
Term of employment
The term of this position is initially offered for 6 months and possible extension of contract is subject to funding availability, job performance, and agreement between IGES and employee.
Place of Work:
The IGES Regional Centre office located in downtown Bangkok (604 SG Tower, 6th Floor 161/1 Soi Mahadlek Luang 3, Rajdamri Road, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330). https://www.iges.or.jp/en/access/window_map_bangkok.html
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit the following to: Ms. Ariel Yu (email@example.com; and regionalcentre-HR@iges.or.jp) within 31 May 2019.
- Letter of Motivation explaining why you are interested in the position
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Names, positions and contact details of three professional referees
- Samples of writing and/or publication
Please not that documents submitted as part of the application will not be returned. Do not submit original certificates.
The position is available now and will remain open until filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Reference letter(s) from your supervisor(s) in the past positions (latest preferred) may be requested for short-listed candidates. Additional materials may be also requested in time for the interview.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org