At RECOFTC, we believe in a future where people live equitably and sustainably in and beside healthy, resilient forests. We take a long-term, landscape-based and inclusive approach to supporting local communities to secure their land and resource rights, stop deforestation, find alternative livelihoods and foster gender equity. We are the only non-profit organization of our kind in Asia and the Pacific. We have more than 30 years of experience working with people and forests, and have built trusting relationships with partners at all levels. Our influence and partnerships extend from multilateral institutions to governments, private sector and local communities. Our innovations, knowledge and initiatives enable countries to foster good forest governance, mitigate and adapt to climate change, and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda.
RECOFTC is inviting applications for the position of Senior Program Officer to lead on one of four program areas, Landscape Collaboration in a Changing Climate. The objective of the program is to ensure the land and resource rights of local people are protected, exercised and compensated through collaborative landscape management with focus on RECOFT’s seven focal countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand and Viet-Nam. The program supports local people to manage forests in an integrated way with other sectors within their landscape to meet climate change mitigation commitments and increase landscape resilience as part of their livelihood strategies.
The successful applicant will be based in the RECOFTC main office in Bangkok, Thailand. A remote working arrangement may be considered pending travel restrictions to enter Thailand due to COVID-19. The contract duration is for 24 months, with a possibility of extension subject to funding availability and satisfactory performance.
Specific tasks and duties
The Senior Program Officer is a member of the Program Coordination and Technical Services unit and works under the supervision of the unit Director. The Senior Program Officer will also be accountable to other program and project staff, clients, partners, collaborators and funding agencies.
The Senior Program Officer’s main duties are:
Program development and delivery (50 percent)
- Design and develop RECOFTC’s project portfolio under the Landscape Collaboration in a Changing Climate program area, in close coordination with other relevant staff at RECOFTC main office and country offices to meet expected targets, ensuring that the design of this program helps maximizing synergies with RECOFTC’s other three program areas
- Oversee research and development on sustainable finance innovation for forest landscape restoration, tenure security and protection of rights of local people
- Facilitate development of innovative actions and interventions for integrated landscape management supported by climate and sustainable finance mechanisms within RECOFTC focal landscapes across seven countries in Asia-Pacific
- Lead research and development to contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement on climate change
- Closely work with the program teams of other three strategic goals to achieve the overall targets of RECOFTC Strategic plan 2018-2023.
Capacity development and knowledge management support (30 percent)
- Work closely with RECOFTC training teams at regional and country levels in designing and conducting capacity development needs assessment, the development of capacity building programs, tools and approaches, including trainings, mentoring, action learning, multi-stakeholder fora, and learning networks on integrated landscape collaboration/management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, sustainable landscape financing and gender mainstreaming in landscape collaboration.
- Provide technical assistance, research and capacity development to RECOFTC country teams on integrated landscape management, with focus on sustainable finance solutions to forest-related climate mitigation and adaptation, and forest landscape restoration in the focal landscapes
- Provide technical support and inputs to RECOFTC’s knowledge management on Landscape Collaboration in a Changing Climate
- Along with the RECOFTC’s Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication team, develop and effectively communicate messages on landscape collaboration in a changing climate to target audiences
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team and RECOFTC country offices to monitor and report on progress in implementing the Landscape Collaboration in a Changing Climate program, and to harvest program outcomes
Business development, partnerships and networking (20 percent)
- Work closely with RECOFTC’s business development and partnership teams and other partners to identify and develop financing and partnership opportunities for RECOFTC’s work on multi-sectoral collaboration to address climate change within its focal landscapes
- Lead and assist in the development of proposals related to landscape collaboration and people-centred approaches to forest-related climate mitigation/adaptation and forest landscape restoration
- Represent RECOFTC at relevant events to advocate for local people’s rights in integrated landscape management, forest landscape restoration, and forest-related climate mitigation/adaptation interventions
- Develop, maintain and establish relationships with strategic partners, especially climate finance stakeholders and institutions, keeping abreast of their strategies and using it for program development
- Support and maintain networks in the RECOFTC’s focal countries and regionally, facilitating their active participation and exchange with national, regional and global landscape finance platforms and networks
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned by the Director of Program Coordination and Technical Services
Qualifications and experience
The Senior Program Officer must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in finance related to integrated forest landscape management, climate change, and international development, or related fields.
- Minimum of 10 years’ work experience in development and implementation of a wide variety of innovative finance solutions for integrated forest landscape management and impact investment projects
- Demonstrated experience in sustainable finance analysis related to natural resource management, climate finance for mitigation and adaptation, REDD+, payment for ecosystem services, climate change adaptation, and/or the political economy of deforestation and forest degradation
- Demonstrated experience in multi-stakeholder processes and climate change finance mechanisms
- Proven analytical skills and an innovative thinker who actively contributes to team development and mentoring.
- Ability to work in multi-tasking in a variety of cultural and institutional contexts
- Proven ability to write proposals, concept notes and network for fundraising in an international development context
- Fluency and excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Previous work experience in international organizations and/or climate finance institutions in the Asia-Pacific region
- Ability to communicate in one or more languages spoken in RECOFTC’s focal countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand and Viet Nam
- Familiarity with principles of social inclusion and gender equity
RECOFTC’s core values
At RECOFTC, our core values are the foundation of our culture and guide all our work. In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics, attitudes and skills:
- Embrace innovation
- Adapt to, and learn from, challenges
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders
- Nurture commitment, responsibility and ownership
- Prioritize sustainability
- Cultivate participation, social inclusion and gender equity
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit a CV and a cover letter indicating why they are suitable for this position along with salary requirements and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. RECOFTC has a competitive compensation package. Offers are based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org.
Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on ethnicity, religion, age, nationality, physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, colour, marital status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by RECOFTC’s values and code of conduct. Reasonable accommodation may be made so that qualified disabled applicants can partake in the application process. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Please inform RECOFTC’s Human Resources in writing of any special needs at the time of application.
RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
RECOFTC retains the right to offer this position at a job grade relevant to the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
นักวิจัย / Researcher