Job Title: Lead, Legal Casework
IJM Level and Grade: Level 6, Grade 7
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time staff
Reporting Manager: Head of Legal and Aftercare
Department: Legal and Aftercare Department
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Competitive salary with benefits
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers, caseworkers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
In Thailand, IJM Foundation provides support to Thai authorities to eliminate forced labor and human trafficking from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM lawyers, caseworkers, social workers, advocates and other professionals support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and human trafficking crimes, and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
Key Result Areas
The success of this role is measured by key result areas which are listed below:
- Provide technical legal support and assistance during rescue operations, investigations, and prosecutions supported by IJM ensuring legal targets are achieved.
- Develop a strong professional working relationship with the public prosecutor in assigned criminal cases and join assigned criminal cases as a private prosecutor to represent IJM clients in litigation at court.
- Effectively represent victims in court proceedings, including pre-trial hearings, trial and appeal.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Pursue criminal and civil remedies for victims of force labor and human trafficking.
- Oversee drafting of legal documents and participate in oral arguments before courts.
- Fully understand criminal code and procedures as well as current and future laws related to forced labor and human trafficking.
- Create and provide support prosecution capacity building and training strategy to IJM’s government prosecution partners for forced labor and forced labor trafficking cases.
- Provide training to government authorities and other IJM partners on legal issues related to forced labor and human trafficking offenses, laws and criminal procedures.
- Develop and maintain strong, professional working relationships with officers from the Royal Thai Police, Department of Special Investigation, prosecutors, judges, court officials, lawyers, and NGOs with whom IJM may partner in forced labor exploitation and human trafficking.
- Demonstrate ability to develop strong rapport with IJM clients in a victim-sensitive manner; and
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with IJM Thailand Field Office, IJM Myanmar Field Office and IJM Cambodia Field Office staff.
- Manage legal team operations, ensuring that projected activities, outputs and objectives are achieved.
- Provide mentorship, guidance and technical leadership to IJM’s lawyers.
- Manage all aspects of the legal docket pertaining to IJM’s cases.
- Supervise and review all legal research and drafting of legal documents to guide IJM strategy.
- Provide relevant input to monthly and quarterly reports.
- Continuously and consistently update IJM’s Casework Tracking and Management System (CTMS), Legal Monitoring Tool (LMT) and other monitoring tools to enable a complete gathering of data on current forced labor trafficking casework.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Ensure that IJM complies with all relevant laws and professional ethics.
- Stay informed and disseminate new relevant government regulations concerning forced labor or human trafficking to IJM Thailand casework staff.
- Work and collaborate well other IJM Thailand departments, including Law Enforcement and Development team, Legal and Aftercare, Public Engagement, Program Support, Finance, Hunan Resource and Administration.
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the Head of Legal and Aftercare Department.
This position does not directly manage or supervise other positions.
Education & Experience:
- Law degree from an accredited Thai university required; Master’s Degree in Law preferred (L.L.M.). with excellent academic credentials.
- License to practice law in Thailand required.
- 3-5 years’ experience practicing law in criminal court, a corporate legal department or as a litigator at a private law firm.
- Exceptional written and spoken communication in English and Thai required.
- 1-2 years’ of people management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated legal research and writing skills preferred.
- Thai nationality.
- High degree of organization, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the poor and the oppressed.
- Professional presentation in demeanor and written and oral communication.
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
- Meticulous attention to detail; disciplined with priorities.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Networking, negotiation and decision-making skills.
- High organizational and strong leadership skills; willingness to initiate actions and ideas, exceptional follow-through.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork and maturity; humble, teachable, good support and work well with colleagues.
- Sustained positive attitude.
- Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM mission.
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultantผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officerนักกิจกรรม / Activistนักวิจัย / Researcher