Position Title: Sustainable Coconut Roundtable Coordinator
Period of Performance: on/about June 1- December 30, 2021
Estimated Level of Effort: 50 days
USAID Green Invest Asia, a project implemented by Pact and its partners, aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by mobilizing private finance to upscale and drive investment in the agriculture, forestry and other land use (AFOLU) sector toward low-emission yet profitable business models. To achieve this, the Activity is:
- Identifying a pipeline of investments in land use and land management;
- Encouraging investments by banks, financial institutions and funds into sustainable, low-emission land use management business; and
- Building a community of practice in sustainable landscape finance to tackle systemic issues that block the development and financing of low-emission land use management.
After almost two years of consultation through the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable, USAID Green Invest Asia and partner, Barry Callebaut, successfully launched the Sustainable Coconut Charter in November 2020. The launching event featured the charter’s seven founding signatories- AAK, Barry Callebaut, FrieslandCampina, Harmless Harvest Thailand, Nestlé, and Unilever. This is the coconut industry’s first global Sustainable Coconut Charter, which aims to improve farmer livelihoods, lessen the carbon footprint of coconuts and boost supply to meet rising global demand.
To facilitate this work Pact is seeking to engage a Sustainable Coconut Roundtable coordinating consultant, henceforth referred to as the Coordinator. The Coordinator will be responsible for the development of a sustainability plan for the formalization of the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable as an industry-led platform. He/she will be responsible for reviewing existing research completed by USAID Green Invest Asia on governance structures of similar industry platforms and supplement as needed, consulting with Sustainable Coconut Charter signatories and other relevant stakeholders on governance structure elements, development of a roadmap for formalization of the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable platform, and proposal development of Impact Programs to be supported as part of the platform. The successful completion of the tasks outlined in this scope of work is envisioned to lead to an industry-led, inclusive platform with the strength and durability to push for the transformation of the coconut sector.
He/she will report to USAID Green Invest Asia’s Sustainability and Partnership Manager, and maintain close coordination with Barry Calleabaut’s point of contact and the USAID Green Invest Asia Chief of Party.
- Ensure coordination among stakeholders
- Conduct weekly calls with Pact and Barry Callebaut points of contact
- Maintain files of best practices or other supporting documents shared by Coconut Charter signatories during the period of performance
- Formalize the structure of the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable as an industry-led platform
- Review USAID Green Invest Asia assessment of similar industry platforms
- Engage Coconut Charter signatories for input and feedback on governance structure
- Draft governance structure which should include/address, but is not limited to:
- Membership plan
- Board structure
- Decision making
- Fund raising and budgeting
- Legal structure
- Activities/Benefits provided or supported by the structure (i.e. regular roundtable events for building knowledge and awareness)
- Develop three-year roadmap for management and operations of Sustainable Coconut Roundtable platform
- Coordinate Planning of August Sustainable Coconut Roundtable
- Work closely with USAID Green Invest Asia’s event planning team to lead development of the event tentatively planned for late August 2021
- Develop draft agenda for review by USAID Green Invest Asia, Barry Callebaut, and others as appropriate
- Ensure coordination meetings are held periodically with good attendance
- Provision of baseline information for the event and any related working groups, including suggestions of expert speakers as necessary
- Develop the Knowledge and Awareness Program
- Develop supporting research, evidence and activities to support the vision of the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable
- Harmonize requirements through global benchmarks and monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- Enable and catalyze pre-competitive actions
- Develop thematic working groups as appropriate
- Develop proposal for Impact Programs to be supported through the platform
- Determine impact priorities through consultations with Coconut Charter signatories
- Assess possible structure for Impact Program organization and funding
- Draft proposal for discussion with Coconut Charter signatories
- Draft workplan for establishing Impact Program
- Contribute to communications and outreach for the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable
- Work with the USAID Green Invest Asia communication team to ensure regular, high quality communication to amplify the work of the Roundtable and activities
- Gain commitments from platform members and follow up as needed in coordination with USAID Green Invest Asia and Barry Callebaut
- Support drafting of meeting minutes, communication of platform plenary and working group meetings for distribution through websites, update letters etc., as appropriate.
Anticipated Key Deliverables
- Draft governance structure, including protocols and policies for all aspects of decision-making, Board selection, membership criteria, fund raising, etc.
- Final governance structure document
- Draft roadmap for formalizing Sustainable Roundtable
- Presentation of roadmap to Sustainable Coconut Charter signatories in August 2021
- Draft proposal for Impact Programs
- Final proposal for Impact Programs
To be considered eligible, candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Established network and strong working relationships with the private sector members of the Sustainable Coconut Roundtable
- Prior experience working for at least one private sector company, preferably with active roles in sustainable coconut industry and responsible coconut supply chain
- Demonstrated organizational skills and capacity to coordinate diverse actors toward a common objective
- Previous experience in leading the formation of private-sector led industry platform(s)
- Exceptional communication skills- written and verbal- with fluency in English
- Minimum 10 years work experience in a relevant field and industry
- Ability to work as a neutral party in the development of the Coconut Roundtable with no clear conflicts of interest among the signatory members of the Sustainable Coconut Charter
- Advanced degree in relevant field, i.e. business administration, international development, organizational management, etc.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and CV to Pact Thailand Human Resources Unit via email@example.com by May 21.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinator