INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE MISSION®
Job Title: Aftercare Caseworker and Interpreter
IJM Level and Grade: N/A
Job Type: Full-time, Contract Position (1 year, possibility of renewal)
Reporting Manager: Head of Legal and Aftercare
Department: Legal and Aftercare Department
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Start Date: As soon as possible
Who We Are:
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers, caseworkers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
In Thailand, IJM Foundation provides support to Thai authorities to eliminate forced labor and human trafficking from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM lawyers, caseworkers, social workers, advocates and other professionals support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and human trafficking crimes, and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
Overview: IJM is seeking an Aftercare Caseworker and Interpreter (Thai-Myanmar Language) for its Bangkok office. The Aftercare Caseworker and Interpreter will provide Thai-Myanmar language spoken interpretation and written translation services for IJM staff, government and non-government partners and labor trafficking survivors in support of IJM casework objectives. Under the direction of IJM’s Head of Legal and Aftercare, the Aftercare Caseworker and Interpreter will also support IJM Social Workers in providing crisis care and aftercare services to victims and monitoring and following up on their case. The Aftercare Caseworker and Interpreter will interact directly with survivors inside and outside of Thai courts and government shelters for victims of human trafficking. The position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and will require travel within Thailand. This position reports to the Head of Legal and Aftercare.
Key Result Areas:
The success of this role is measured by key result areas, which are listed below:
- Participate in rescue operations and assist with pre-rescue, rescue and post-rescue processes, including providing aftercare services and support to victims.
- Assist the Legal and Aftercare team to implement IJM trainings, workshops and other capacity building activities related to IJM’s strategy and goals.
- Interpret from Thai to Myanmar language and vice versa for IJM staff, government and non-government partners and victims during meetings and/or court proceedings.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Participate in rescue operations and assist with pre-rescue, rescue and post-rescue processes.
- Support the provision of IJM programs and aftercare services.
- Accompany survivors of forced labor and human trafficking to court proceedings, medical visits, temporary and/or permanent shelter placements or other necessary locations.
- Assist in following up with survivors by visiting them in Thai government shelters or other locations.
- Assist in providing or facilitating crisis care, legal counseling, medical care, shelter services and education or life skills training to rescue victims.
- Assist the assigned lawyer in designing appropriate intervention strategies to achieve justice for survivors in cases assigned.
- Engage, prepare and support survivors for testifying in court in collaboration with aftercare partners and the IJM legal and law enforcement development departments.
- Maintain accurate case files and documents for clients of aftercare services.
- Maintain and update IJM’s case management system database for assigned cases.
- Interpret from Thai to Myanmar language and from Myanmar language to Thai during meetings and/or court proceedings, providing clear and accurate interpretation, with no additions or omissions.
- Maintain confidentiality and interact with forced labor and human trafficking survivors as well as government and non-government partners in a professional manner.
- Understand terminology in the following areas in both Myanmar language and Thai: Social Services, Legal/Law, Police / Law Enforcement, Human Trafficking, Court / Judicial System.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Assist to implement IJM’s training program, projects, events, and activities from design and planning through to successful completion, resulting in increased capacity of Thai government and NGO partners to rescue forced labor trafficking victims, prosecute perpetrators and ensure survivor restoration.
- Build strong relationships with government and other NGOs in order to share resources and collaborate in conducting trainings.
- Assist to coordinate with speakers and facilitators from both within and outside IJM, maintain good relationships with key stakeholders, and search and identify new resource persons.
- Conduct pre and post tests for each training program.
- Assist with preparation of training reports to submit to supervisor and partners.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Ensure that IJM complies with all relevant laws and professional ethics.
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the Head of Legal and Aftercare, as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, or related field from an accredited university.
- Minimum two years’ relevant experience providing direct services to victims of abuse.
- Minimum two years’ relevant experience in case management.
- Minimum two years’ relevant experience providing of trauma-focused counseling and/or related services.
- Relevant experience providing training in aftercare-related topics.
- Social Work or Psychologist license from the Government of Thailand preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written communication in Myanmar and Thai language, and Intermediate English skill.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office applications (specifically Word, Excel and Outlook) preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and experience or desire to work comfortably within a multi-ethnic and multi-disciplinary team.
- Professional presentation in demeanor and written and oral communication.
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, teamwork and maturity.
- High attention to detail, good judgment, ability to take initiative and provide constructive feedback, and analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Disciplined with priorities and works well under pressure.
- Personable with a sustained positive attitude.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Thailand.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the poor and the oppressed.
- Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM mission.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- Interested person please submit IJM application form with your CV and a cover letter to BangkokRecruiting@ijm.org
- Only completed applications (IJM Job Application Form, CV, cover letter) will be reviewed.
- For further information:
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorนักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative content developerเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officerเจ้าหน้าที่ภาคสนาม / Field officerนักกิจกรรม / Activistล่าม , นักแปรภาษา / Translator