Job Title: Senior Protection Officer
Department: Protection and Empowerment
Location: Mae Sot, Tak
Application Deadline: 6th April 2023
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistant to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
The Senior Protection Officer supervises by Senior Community Protection Manager, The Senior Protection Officer will work closely with the Senior Community Protection Manager and CBAs to strengthen and monitor access to the justice , rule of law systems and mechanism by building capacity on Thai-law, ADR, MDRG, CSO and other identified needs of knowledge and skill , mentor , technical support and monitor their implementation including hearing monitoring, detention monitoring to community-based justice officials and camp security in Mae La, Umpiem and Nupo camps in Tak province. The Senior Protection Officer is also supervising the Camp-Based Assistants on community justice and rule of law in Tak camps.
• Together with Senior Community Protection Manager to access and identify problematic issues on rule of law and access to justice in refugee camps in Tak Province and jointly decide upon capacity needs and advocacy required to strengthen rule of law and access to community justice system and mechanism.
• Support and work closely with Senior Community Protection Manager and other team members on technical support and build capacity to community-based justice officials, community volunteers, relevant authorities and service providers by provide training, workshop and meeting on Thai-law, ADR, MDRG, CSO and other identified needs of knowledge and skill.
• Develop IEC materials and jointly with other team members to provide awareness and prevention activities on access to community justice and rule of law to the community.
• Together with Senior Community Protection Meager establish linkages and maintain close cooperation with Refugee Leaders, Thai and Camp authorities, UNHCR, NGOs and CBOs and other relevant organizations/persons to advocate on community justice and rule of law about refugee protection, legal and human rights issues.
• Supervise the Camp-Based Assistants for Capacity building and Rule of Law services in Tak camps in the conduct of their work and ensuring, with other Protection and Legal services team members, that the CBAs are supported in their role.
• Collect information/data relating to all related activities, including data necessary for project indicators and implementation.
• Together with Senior Protection Manager and Protection and Legal Assistance Program staff prepare monthly activity plans to ensure close integration of Protection and Empowerment Programs’ activities.
• Together with the Senior Protection Manager, Protection and Legal Assistance Program staff prepare monthly and other reports as required.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports: Senior Community Protection Manager
Position directly supervises: Camp Based Assistance for Capacity building and Rule of Law services.
Indirect Reporting: Protection and Legal Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator for Durable Solution and Program, Deputy Coordinator for Access to Justice and Senior Protection Coordinator
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Other staffs from The Protection and Assistance Center , Health programs, WPE programs, Livelihood Programs, RSC Programs, Technical/Program Coordinators; Finance Department; Human Resources Department; Logistics/Supply Chain
External: UNHCR, local government authorities e.g., camp commander, Camp Committee, Justice Committee, NGOs and CBOs.
- University degree in relevant or high school certificate or post-ten diploma required.
Work Experience and/or Demonstrated Abilities
- At least 3 years of work experience with humanitarian protection, laws and/or judicial system desirable
- Previous training experience and/or experience in humanitarian protection and law desirable
- Experience in training design and developing training curriculum.
- Demonstrate understanding on advocacy, protection for the displaced people or people with diverse ethnic backgrounds and governance.
- Excellent communication and training skills
- Ability to multi-task and handle sensitive issues.
- Effective personnel management skills
- Ability to deal with traumatized people in an effective and compassionate way.
- Computer literate
- Fluent Burmese and Karen , and good command of English, working knowledge of Thai is an advantage.
The position will be based in the IRC office in Mae Sot , Tak Province, with frequent travel to Tham Hin camp in Ratchaburi Province , Ban Don Yan camp in Kanchanaburi Province , Refugee camps in Mae Hong Son Province and other provinces as requires to IRC business.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you are interested, please apply via the below.
Contact : HR Department