United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 48/2017
Senior Protection Assistant
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
22 December 2017
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
05 January 2018
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
- Act as Child Protection and SGBV Focal Person within the Office including, inter alia, undertaking individual/family/group protection response/referral activities and interventions in close cooperation with urban protection, RSD, and durable solutions units.
- Contribute to the implementation of activities and advocacy to strengthen and ensure protection of asylum seeker and refugee children, especially unaccompanied/separated children and children/families in detention, in cooperation with the concerned authorities, NGOs and refugee communities.
- Develop, manage and implement Sexual and Gender-based violence (SGBV) prevention, response and referral systems through, inter alia, regular SGBV awareness raising, sensitization, and advocacy and training activities with community SGBV focal persons, community leaders and governmental and non-governmental service providers.
- Conduct Best Interests Assessment (BIA) and Best Interest Determination (BID) for individual children and ensure that the child’s best interests are the foremost consideration.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection.
- Undertake site/field visits and outreach activities to verify social needs of children, evaluate their living conditions and prepare recommendations accordingly.
- Act as a focal person and coordinator for psychological services including supporting UNHCR psychological assessor, making referral, and working alongside with implementing partner.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities.
- Report monthly on developments and statistics concerning SGBV and Child Protection with an analysis of the context and mechanisms to enhance effective protection/solutions, as well as support overall internal and external reporting.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit / section.
- Maintain constructive relationships with concerned government authorities and other stakeholders in coordination with other team members.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- Thai national only.
- Completion of secondary school (University degree in law or social sciences preferred)
- Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- At least 4 years of professional experiences relevant to the function.
- Prior experience (ideally in the Thai/South East Asia context) in addressing issues of overall social/legal protection, Child Protection, SGBV, human rights, legal and related activities/functions.
- Keen interest and experiences in designing and implementing Child Protection and SGBV programmes and activities, especially utilizing community-based approaches.
- Knowledge of computer and use of various computer software packages, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Power Point Presentation.
- Fluency in English and Thai (written and spoken)
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified the outcome of the selection process.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11SUP_UNHCR.docm