Opening: Volunteer Community Advocate
Asylum Access is an innovative non-profit founded to make refugee rights a reality in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We help refugees assert their fundamental rights using four integrated tools; individualized legal counsel and/or representation, community legal empowerment, policy advocacy and strategic litigation. With offices in Ecuador, Mexico, Thailand, Tanzania and Malaysia, we provide direct legal assistance reaching over 10,000 refugees per year.
Asylum Access Thailand is looking for Volunteer Community Advocate to assist the Community Outreach team at Asylum Access in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating the community empowerment activities as approved by the Community Outreach Coordinator.
Duration: 6 months contract (April - October 2018)
- Facilitate a forum or space in various refugee communities to motivate discussions around the development of community action plans
- Promote the inclusion of community members, both refugee and local, in mobilizing and organizing people to develop and implement an action plan
- Facilitate a collective understanding of the action plan by creating spaces for dialogue and reflection
- Identify the resources, capabilities, and capacity of refugee community members and support the successful implementation of community action plans
- Provide training and capacity building where identified by the participants
- Develop monitoring and evaluation plans including sharing feedback with the participants and allowing them to propose improvements.
- University degree in Community Development, Social Administration or a related field.
- A Demonstrated ability to work with refugee communities in urban areas.
- Must be able to work under stress and with changing priorities.
- Able to effectively communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
- Direct work experience of supporting urban refugee communities in different situations.
- A small stipend to contribute towards travel to and from the office.
- A written reference plus a certificate of completion.
- Experience in group facilitation and training clients.
- Experience in developing work plans and M&E
- Improved fluency in English through working in an English speaking environment.
- Cross-cultural communication skills, and experience working with interpreters.
- Access to Asylum Access’ Alumni network which presents opportunities to obtain paid work in the field of refugee law or human rights.
Note: The position is based in Bangkok.
Please send a cover letter, a resume and an academic example of written English to Asylum Access at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “AAT-VCA Application”. Please be sure to specify in your cover letter what makes you uniquely qualified to be a Volunteer Community Advocate with AAT, how volunteering with us fits into your career plans, and the date that you expect to be available. The closing date for applications is 15 March 2018 however we may appoint before this date.
Please note that this position will only receive a travel stipend; we are happy to work with successful applicants to arrange for funding or school credit where available.