SOW Senior Epidemiologist (Malaria)
Global health is a core focus of RTI’s mission to improve the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. We partner with governments, local organizations, universities, service providers, and communities, to identify and address the root causes of public health challenges. Our team focuses on strengthening health systems, controlling and eliminating neglected tropical diseases, and supporting programs to combat HIV, malaria, and other infectious diseases.
RTI through the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Inform Asia: USAID’s Health Research Program is providing technical assistance to a range of local stakeholders in the areas of knowledge management and capacity building with regard to strengthening the Thai and People’s Democratic Republic of Lao (PDR) national malaria programs. Inform Asia’s overarching goal is to promote the use of evidence-based advocacy and decision making in Thailand and Lao PDR to achieve malaria elimination. Inform Asia has 3 main objectives:
- To strengthen malaria surveillance;
- To conduct research activities to evaluate strategies and tools for implementation and scale-up for malaria elimination; and
- To strengthen capacity of health staff to generate, analyze, and use strategic information.
Inform Asia is currently seeking for highly qualified candidate to fill the position Senior Epidemiologist, Malaria. He/She will have a proven success in epidemiological research, program evaluation, and in strengthening the capacity of others to in evidence based advocacy or adopting evidence into practice or. The position is a local-hire full-time position based in Bangkok and report to the Chief of Party.
Malaria surveillance and strategic information
- Collaborate with RTI’s Inform Asia staff and the national malaria control programs in Thailand and Lao PDR to use and analyze information from the malaria surveillance and malaria information system (MIS) database for evidence-based advocacy and evidence-based decision making;
- Collaborate with project staff and malaria program managers to design / improve MIS dashboard to facilitate the use of strategic information for planning, performance monitoring, and improving implementation of malaria elimination strategy.
Research and evaluation
- Assist the national program to ensure that operational research and evaluation implemented by the national malaria programs is relevant, complete, and quality assurance, e.g. iDES, malaria and 1-3-7 strategy;
- Provide technical support to local consultant and to the sub-national level staff to integrate implementation and decentralize management of district-level malaria elimination efforts;
- Use applied epidemiology research methods to analyze health data, malaria surveillance, and MIS database, field observation, questionnaires and studies;
- Provide statistical insight in the interpretation and discussion of study results;
- Document research and programmatic results and lessons learned into a range of knowledge products that may include conference abstracts, peer reviewed journal articles, e-learning materials, training materials, advocacy briefs for policy-makers, technical reports and any other products deemed appropriate. .
Capacity building in generation, analysis and use of strategic information
- Provide mentoring and training in epidemiology research and evaluation methods to the technical staff, including M&E staff from the national malaria control programs;
- Develop tools and/or guidelines to build the capacity of technical staff, including M&E staff from the national malaria control programs;
- Build the capacity of staff from the national malaria control programs to enable them to manage and implement systems for acquiring, compiling, synthesizing, extracting and reporting information.;
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Data Science, Biostatistics, or equivalent, with up to 10 years’ relevant work experience; or Ph.D. with 3 years’ relevant work experience.
- At least 6 years' experience in epidemiological research and evaluation with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in leading quality assurance, protocol design, sampling, training, supervision, operational implementation, data analysis, reporting, and data use, is preferred.
- At least 2 years’ relevant experience in malaria. Familiar with the context of malaria control and elimination program in Thailand and Lao PDR.
- Strong publication record, including writing on best practices, innovative methods and results, and active presentation in meetings/workshops.
- Competency in use of statistical analysis tools.
- Professional working proficiency in English, Thai and/or Lao
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
To Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply to HR-Indo@rti-indomd.rti.org before April 30, 2018. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. RTI is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V