Location: Thailand (Bangkok, Northeast)
Contract: Consultant, full time or part time
Expected Start Date: 1 January to 31 August 2019 (Extension is possible)
Closing Date: 25 November 2018
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organisations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 organisations working together with partners and local communities in more than 90 countries to reduce inequalities and poverty. Around the globe, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive.
In 2013, Oxfam launched the Behind the Brands campaign to challenge the world ‘Big 10’ food and beverage companies on their social and environmental policies and practices, and to amplify the voices of key stakeholders such as farmers, communities, consumers and investors, calling on them to take action. By the end of the three-year campaign, the companies had made significant new commitments to improve social and environmental standards in their vast supply chains.
Oxfam is now focused on implementation of those company commitments: getting companies to ensure that their suppliers actually change their practices in line with the commitments made, and accelerating the transformation towards a more sustainable food system by adopting new business models in their supply chains. Implementation of these commitments will ensure that more of the power and value reaches the farmers and workers, women and men, who produce the ingredients for the food we eat.
As Thailand is the world’s second largest exporter of sugar, Oxfam in Thailand is focusing Behind the Brands implementation efforts on sustainability in the country’s sugar supply chain. To prepare for next steps in programming and influencing work, we are looking for a young and competent officer, who wants to work and grow the career with the global program team.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
JOB PURPOSE: The Sustainability Officer, during the 8 month timeframe, will primarily conduct industry research and start connecting with local CSOs and companies to identify key priority areas for sustainability improvement. The person will be key instrument to support the team better understand the landscape and issues through the research and mapping of targets.
• Conduct industry-level gap analysis between the global and national sustainability policies and practices of BtB and sugar companies. Focus dimensions on human/women’s rights, social risks and impacts to communities (key BtB1.1 issues).
• Establish connection with leading CSOs on BtB1.1 issues and facilitate open discussions to find shared concerns and opportunities for industry improvement.
• Analyze Bonsucro and applicability in Thailand.
• Learn and collaborate closely with the global BtB programme for maximum benefits among member countries.
• Manage basic reporting and accountability system of the project i.e. monthly workplan, reporting, budget management.
SKILLS AND COMPENTENCE:
• Thai nationals only.
• University degree in sustainability or related areas.
• At least 2-3 years’ experience, in non-profit and/or profit sectors, demonstrating competency in some of these areas; partnerships development, agriculture supply chain management, sustainability project management and research.
• Knowledge of sugar industry is a plus. Strong understanding of labor and human/women’s rights, community rights to livelihood natural resources and climate change impacts.
• Mature. Good communications skills. Adaptability to diverse circumstances. Ability to plan and work independently.
• Full time but part time is also optional. Flexible work environment. Own personal laptop.
For further details please refer to TOR at https://www.thaingo.org/jobs/files/ToR_Sustainability Officer_Sugar Industry.pdf
HOW TO APPLY: Please send your letter of interest and address concisely the eligibility of the consultancy work along with detail CV and expected salary to Klimsamarnphun@oxfam.org.uk
Your e-mail should have the subject line Sustainability Officer – Sugar Industry
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation.
Contact : Klimsamarnphun@oxfam.org.uk