Information Technology Officer (Systems Administrator/Full Stack Developer), BW
Vacancy no.: DC/BANGKOK/NO/2019/07
Publication date: 20 September 2019
Application deadline (midnight Bangkok time): 17 October 2019
Job ID: 1782
Department: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Organization Unit: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year (with possibility of renewal)
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment and eligibility criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is Baht1,139,064 yearly.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) and the International Finance Corporation (IFC) agreed in August 2006, to collaborate in developing a global programme for better labour standards in global supply chains. The objective of the Better Work programme is to improve labour standards and enterprise performance in global supply chains in developing countries. It will do this by (a) promoting compliance with international labour standards and national law in global supply chains as a basis for building socially responsible export strategies and (b) enhancing enterprise-level economic and social performance. The focus will be on long-term sustainable solutions which build cooperation between government, employers’ and workers’ organizations, and international buyers.
The Better Work programme is one of the five ILO’s Flagship programmes (http://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/how-the-ilo-works/flagships/lang--en/index.htm). Better Work aims to lift millions out of poverty by providing decent work, empowering women, driving business competitiveness and promoting inclusive economic growth. It is currently operating in 7 countries and covering over 1500 factories with over 2 million workers.
The Better Work progamme consists of two components: (1) global tools accessible via a global portal; and (2) country level programmes. Over the past few years Better Work has generated an unprecedented set of intelligence and data made available to its partners to drive positive changes across the garment industry supply chain.
The System Administrator and Full Stack developer (NOA) will work for the Better Work Program, located in the ILO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific. The main purpose of the position is to manage and maintain all BetterWork technology infrastructure as well as ensuring code quality and code maintenance of Better Work systems.
Description of Duties
1. Actively participate in the IT development and bug fixing of BetterWork Systems (Python, REACT/Angular and SQL)
2. Oversee IT development provide by a third party as well as code quality insurance for Better Work IT platform and innovation projects
3. Identify solutions and/or formulation recommendations for IT-related problems and issues raised by end users through support escalation and ticket services
4. Provide IT infrastructure support, including troubleshooting hardware and software issues, performing systems upgrades and analysis, disaster recovery plans.
5. Perform system administration for Azure cloud servers (and other similar cloud-based technologies) and Better Work databases as well as Virtual server setup, support, and administration
6. Performing other duties as assigned
2. Advise on the design of solutions for web applications including system architecture, database models and coding standards and participate in the implementation.
3. Participate in iterative design and technical improvements for applications once they are launched, including scoping and development of new features
4. Respond to technical queries and operational problems raised through the technical support and ticket system, i.e. infrastructure, network or implementing code patches as needed.
5. Participate in meetings, training, activities, documentation and projects aimed at improving service levels to the regional and/or area offices.
6. Draft and maintain technical documentation and manuals.
7. Participate in proposals for contractual services, liaise with vendors for procurement and warranty.
8. Install configure, administrate and/or update of software and hardware.
9. Design, implementation and support of a Better Work Identity Provider and Active Directory.
10. Create and maintain networks, including IP addressing, basic routing functions, DNS, DHCP.
11. Administer database (RDB as a Service) and Applications Servers.
12. Administer backup and restore operations.
13. Ensure system security (e.g., deploy system updates, monitor security dashboards and logs)
14. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Bachelor or equivalent in computer science, plus formal training in computer systems and programming from a recognized commercial or technical school or equivalent. Relevant certifications including ITIL Foundation Certification are desirable.
At least two years of experience (although more preferred) in computer operations and/or information management, including experience in operational work related to the job.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Azure or similar cloud hosting technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft and/or Linux server OS.
- Advanced knowledge of web programming languages such as Python, REACT/Angular and SQL.
Excellent knowledge of English. Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively in English.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Strong client focus and ability to manage client expectations and create trusting relations.
Demonstrated ability to analyze user issues and requirements and to prepare documentation and manuals.
Demonstrated ability to follow administrative computer procedures reliably (e.g. Standard Operating Procedures for system operations and user assistance).
Demonstrated technical competence in network connections and services.
Ability to troubleshoot hardware, software and network problems. Ability to edit program scripts. Ability to solve fairly complex problems related to computers. Ability to learn new technologies. Ability to work in a team and to work under pressure. Ability to train others on the use of new computer systems. Ability to organize own work.
Strong teamwork values. Excellent interpersonal skills. Creative problem-solving skills. Open minded, motivated, responsible and organized. Ability to work under pressure with limited supervision and take initiative.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment:
Starting salary: Baht1,139,064.-per annum
Allowances & benefits: Affiliation to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund
Afiliation to the ILO-ITU Staff Health Insurance Fund
30 working days of annual leave
Applicants can only attach 1 document to their application. This should include a cover letter, and must also include a 2-page statement addressing their claims against the required competencies. In doing this you should have a heading for each competency and explain in 2 -3 paragraphs to the selection committee how your skills and experience show that you meet this. Applicants who do not attach this statement will not be considered for interview.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website (https://jobs.ilo.org) or direct link here https://jobs.ilo.org/job/Bangkok-Information-Technology-Officer-%2528Systems-AdministratorFull-Stack-Developer%2529%252C-BW/557291001/. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org