United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 09/2020
Equivalent to GS-3
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
17 January 2020
Assistant Protection Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
31 January 2020
Mae Sot, Thailand
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post As soon as possible until 31 December 2020
The Thailand operation along the border with Myanmar has reached a critical juncture wherein the realization of durable solutions for some 110,000 refugees has shifted beyond resettlement towards voluntary repatriation and other possible options. Field Offices are engaged in a range of activities that prepare refugees for repatriation including facilitating the movement of those that already decided to return (prior to UNHCR promoting voluntary repatriation). UNHCR efforts are being strengthened to ensure that durable solutions options resettlement, voluntary return and migrant status) materialize and that refugees are able to freely avail themselves to solutions of their choice.
The interpreter/Protection Clerk reports directly to the Assistant Protection Officer (NOA) and is under the general guidance of the Protection Officer in the UNHCR Field Office. The Interpreter/Protection Clerk is part of the Protection Team which is engaged in outreach, support and advocacy for the basic rights, safety and protection of the refugee community. Protection also encompasses community-based outreach and information sharing on protection issues and durable solutions.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- Provide interpretation/transition for staff members as needed.
- Assist the Assistant Protection Officer in police and legal proceedings involving refugees and to interpret in Karen, Thai, and English for individuals involved in protection cases.
- Assist in liaison with the refugee leaders on individual cases and protection issues.
- Assist in organizing and conducting awareness raising activities on core UNHCR issues, including SGBV, child protection and durable solutions, particularly voluntary repatriation.
-Support focus groups discussions in the camps
- Assist in preparing and dissemination information for refugees, particularly in relation to the situation in Myanmar and future durable solutions.
- Conduct simple follow up on protection cases, under the close guidance of the Assistant Protection Officer and the Protection Officer.
- Assist the resettlement/durable solutions unit in identifying and interviewing individuals interested in resettlement and in providing basic resettlement -related counselling.
- Assist the district /provincial registration teams with monthly registration updates in camp.
- Update ProGres database with relevant case information and developments, including on resettlement status, birth registration, etc.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Quality of interpretation/translation;
Quality and types of assistance provided in protection work
Number of focus group discussions organized
Quality of logistic arrangements undertaken.
Quality of follow-up actions on protection cases.
Quality of information disseminated on durable solutions.
Accuracy of data entered in ProGres database.
Qualifications and Experience
-Post-secondary training /certificate in Business Administration, Secretarial Work, Translation or related field
- Previous relevant job experience: 3 years
- Job Experience relevant to the function: 3 years
- Familiarity with the refugee camps and the background and context of the Myanmar refugees in Thailand
- Fluency in written and spoken Karen and/or Burmese, English and Thai
- Demonstrated sensitivity in dealing with vulnerable refugees and knowledge of the basic principles of casework such as confidentiality and survivor choice
- Good communication skills, particularly for communicating with refugees in the camp setting.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, duly signed P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: THABAHR@unhcr.org by the closing date.
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
P.11 form can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and
Contact : email@example.com