Job Title : Budget Manager
Application Deadline : 2 June 2020
Background / IRC Summary
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces
The Budget Manager assists Finance Controller by managing the financial reporting requirements and deadlines specified by the IRC and donors for the Thailand country program including both the Crisis Response, Recovery, and Development Dept (CRRD) assistance and Resettlement, Asylum & Integration (RAI) programs Asia.
I. Budgeting and Reporting:
• Preparation, revision and maintenance of country office Operating Budget and ensure the operating budget is managed and monitored effectively and efficiently within timely manner.
• Prepare and revise all grant budget proposals and make sure that all budget line items are allowable, allocable and reasonable as per Donor requirements.
• Work closely with program staff in preparing and/or revising grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments and ensure the submission is within the timely manner and the adequate coverage of country operating costs and headquarters costs.
• Consolidate and update all grant pipeline information from Program and Finance departments on a monthly basis and to propose and prepare budget revisions as necessary and ensure that spending is carried out according to the plan.
• Review and supervise the preparation of all Budget versus Actual reports on a monthly basis in donor currency to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required.
• Draft donor financial reports and request for funds for review by the Finance Controller and make sure the reports are prepared and sent appropriately and within the timely manner.
• Preparation of US federal funding Letter of Credit –LOC report to HQ to ensure accurate appropriate balances are included to facilitate grants implementation.
• Preparation of monthly field expense reports and analyzing the use of unrestricted funding versus approved allocations.
• Develop Shared Program Cost allocation processes and methodology for overarching costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs
• Prepare timesheet planning worksheet and sending it to all country office supervisors and make sure that the cost allocations are allowable, allocable and reasonable as per Donor requirements.
• Monitor and supervise the preparation of reporting schedules and request for fund.
• Review BVA spending plans and prepare BVA upload.
• Analyze BVA reports and provide relevant inputs to budget holders.
II. Training and Staff Management:
• Assist in providing training and support for the country office program and operational staff on proposal budgets, revisions and pipeline and spending plan reports.
• After the field office visit, preparation of written field trip reports for review by Finance Controller which identifies key issues during the field trip visits and provide follow-up recommendations for improving control processes or procedures.
• Ensure comprehensive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis of Senior Budget Officer Performance.
III. Other Responsibilities:
• Ensure the completeness of the grants financial documentation of the centralized grant filing system.
• Assist Finance Controller with the internal and external audit when required.
• Perform other duties, as appropriate or requested
• Responsible for the finance verification of the payment requests for payments which are less or equivalent or US$5,000/- submitted to finance, to ensure that:
• The IRC policies and donor regulations are adhered to.
• Expenses are allowable as per specific donor regulations.
• The charge codes for payments submitted are correct.
• The calculations are correct. (this includes test of the mathematical accuracy of invoices, receipts and supporting documents to payments )
• The relevant supporting documents are attached.
• SUN System / General Ledger and Budget Ledger Processing:
• Uploading entries of SUN accounting System changes including chart of accounts, coding, exchange rates, transactions, etc.
• Review field office accounting transactions before uploading it to SUN and ensure that SUN System uploads proceed on time for the monthly closer.
• Ensure a backup and retention procedure is in place and followed for all SUN master files ensuring that all saved on the network drive.
• Review financial data information submitted by field office(s) to identify weakness and problems and to devise correction action
• Provide monthly feedbacks for the Finance staff by email
• Provide Finance Controller feedback remarks on the financial data submitted by field office by review and analyze the monthly spreadsheets from the main and field offices prior to uploading in the SUN System.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Finance Controller
Position directly supervises:
- Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Regional Controller, finance department of other country programs, Program/Grants Managers/Coordinators, Supply Chain Managers/Coordinator, DDO, DDP, field finance officers, and Internal Auditors, etc.
External: Bank Managers, Revenue Department, payroll provider, donors and external auditors
Education:Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with a recognized professional certificate in accounting (CPA or equivalent certification would be preferred).
• Minimum of three (3) years of finance and accounting experience and one (1) year direct supervisory experience.
• Experienced in budgeting and with various PC and financial related software (spreadsheets, accounting packages).
Skills and Abilities:
• Must be able to function comfortably in a loosely structured but complex work environment, working and prioritizing multiple tasks.
• Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) in English with program staff, management and employees
• Comfortable making decisions.
• Good supervisory, time management and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, cross group collaboration compliance, proactive and innovative approach
• Strategic thinker with excellent interpersonal, leadership, problem solving, decision making and follow-up skills
• Excellent multi-tasking, organized, and hands on experience with high achievement
• Being a self-starter with drive and initiative and able to work as a team with a positive attitude and open minded
• Considerate and deliberate in dealing with people with good negotiation skills
• Deadline oriented
• Positive attitude and excellent service mind
• Very strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Language Skills: Excellent in English communication of speaking, listening and writing
Certificates or Licenses: an asset
Working Environment: Based in Bangkok office, occasionally required to travel to field offices and joined with regional conference and workshop, if required.
If you are interested please apply via link below
Contact : Human Resources Department