Technical Advisor – Demand Reduction & Partnerships
Remote - Bangkok
22 July 2020
Conservation & Policy
Fixed Term (12 month) Consultant, Part-Time
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
More information about this job:
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) is seeking an experienced professional to serve as a Technical Advisor for high-level oversight, partnership management, and direction for ZSL’s pangolin consumer demand reduction project. The role also involves consultation on strategic development and scoping of other partnership potential for ZSL’s Thailand Program. The key purpose of this Thailand-based position is to serve as a lead advisor in all matters related to demand reduction work including programmatic and content development, managing partnerships, and facilitating multi-stakeholder project activities to ensure that the project aligns with both ZSL’s mission and the Thai government priorities, and meets internal and donor requirements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate building solid professional partnerships with cross-sector partners for Demand Reduction work.
- Identify and secure key resources and cultivate partnerships to support the development and delivery of Demand Reduction activities in Thailand, and scope for extension of related activities in scope or time.
- Advise and, when appropriate, assist in compiling data on wildlife trade and, particularly, pangolin poaching, trade, and consumption in Thailand.
- Oversee and contribute to the development of research, surveys, analysis, and products for all project activities.
- Develop and facilitate workshops and meetings related to programmatic and project activities.
- Support the development and delivery of the Demand Reduction Project in terms of strategy, planning, key targets, partners, agendas, reports and presentations, behaviour change models, marketing briefs, tools and products, and campaign activities, Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Identify and recruit any additional project partners where appropriate, such as those from the private sector, communication, campaigning and marketing experts.
- Undertakes other tasks relevant to the project and Thailand Programme as appropriate.
This position is open to Thai citizens.
Desired Skills and Requirements
- At least Master’s degree, Ph.D. preferred, in conservation biology, sustainable development, environment/wildlife or natural resource management, social sciences and/or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience working in the Thailand and regional conservation arena, with strong networks in Thailand’s government, NGO and private sectors.
- Extensive professional experience and a successful track record in managing the development and delivery of multi-sector programmes and projects.
- Strong background in and knowledge of wildlife trade, demand reduction, wildlife conservation and natural resource management.
- Excellent coordination and communication skills.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills with proven experience developing high quality content for proposals, presentations and reports, behaviour change campaign development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation. A successful track record in activities related to reducing illegal wildlife trade and consumption, with experience in Thailand or Asian region preferred.
- Proven ability to work effectively with multi-agency teams and provide leadership; with a record of successful working relationships with the relevant illegal wildlife trade and demand reduction expert governmental and NGO networks in Thailand.
- Knowledge of Thai laws and strategies relevant to wildlife trade.
- An ability to represent ZSL and its projects independently and collaboratively in a team.
- An ability to work remotely and coordinate regular reporting and meetings to both ZSL and project partners.
- Native Thai speaker that is also fluent in both written and spoken English.
Duration of Contract & Location:
12 months with an expected time commitment of one week per month, with the potential for extension.
The ideal candidate will be based in Bangkok, with occasional travel to Kanchanaburi office and other locations as necessary.
Applicants will need to send their CV and a cover letter detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position, and include details of availability. Please send to Eileen.Larney@zsl.org as soon as possible, as we hope to fill the post immediately, but no later than midnight (GMT+7) on 22 July 2020.
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultant