Job title: Associate – Business & Human Rights
Location: Home-based in Asia, with international travel
Asian nationals are strongly preferred for this position
Embode is an international human rights consulting agency focusing on social protection and responsible business, with a particular specialisation in issues of child exploitation, human trafficking, and labour and migration. In the 5 years since its inception, Embode has undertaken and published seminal work on issues such as child labour in cocoa, migrant labour in palm oil as well as forced labour in the garment sector. Our work continues to be at the cutting edge of corporate accountability and labour protection, where we work as an independent expert voice between industry, governments and civil society.
Based in Asia, with a small international team, Embode prides itself in being on the ground in locations where many of our projects are focused. Our clients include organisations across the UN, NGO and corporate sector, and our work consists of research, field assessments, training, strategy and policy development, workshops and more. We are a growing virtual team of Associates and Consultants based in over 10 countries in Asia and Africa working either on an ongoing or project basis. See www.embode.co for more details about our work.
This role is for a high calibre candidate who has a mindset for growth, a passion for social justice and sustainability, and a spirit for creativity and entrepreneurship. S/he should be a resilient individual who is open to learning new ways of working, thinking and perceiving, and is able to work collaboratively in solving complex issues. Embode is looking for candidates who will support a respectful team culture and is both confident and driven to build technical and organisational capacity.
Embode is seeking a highly-motivated full-time ‘Associate-Business and Human Rights’, to support our growing area of technical consultancy in corporate supply chains. A key focus of this work is on risks and responses to labour and migration, social and child protection, as well as living income and gender equality. The Associate should be adept at the following skills:
- Research and Field Assessments: Capacity to design research methodology, both qualitative and quantitative, conduct field work, gather and analyse data, and write up findings. This will also involve supervising local consultants in undertaking field work when travel is restricted.
- Business strategy: Support the growth and strengthening of the business through developing and maintaining client and partner relationships and taking initiative in identifying innovations in internal and public-facing processes.
- Project management: Taking shared accountability for team projects and ensuring deliverables are managed and delivered according to agreed timeframes and allocations.
- Writing: Adeptness in drafting and finalising a variety of documents for different target audiences, such as research reports, project proposals, policy documents, training curricula, etc.
- Client and partner relations: Capacity to maintain strong boundary relationships with client and partners.
- Facilitating and Training: Ability to facilitate and/or train groups both online or in person, such as in workshops and seminars; with the capacity to devise and improve on existing modules and curricula.
- Supervising and team management: Capacity in providing supervision and/or management to teams.
Technical Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Relevant qualifications: Degree in the area of social sustainability, human rights, political science and/or international development. Post graduate qualifications in a relevant discipline such as labour and migration or social sustainability, or substantial experience in the same will be an advantage.
- Technical experience: At least 3 years’ experience in a relevant social field of business and human rights, labour rights and/or social protection (or child protection).
- Field experience: At least 2 years’ experience working with communities, programme implementation, in direct service provision or case work. Capacity in monitoring and evaluation is an advantage.
- Language skills: Excellent level of fluency in spoken and written English and an ability to communicate and articulate in culturally-adaptive ways. Being fluent in any other languages is a distinct advantage.
- Communication: Ability and willingness to communicate regularly within the team through email, online platforms and meetings. Professional competency in MS programs and Zoom.
- ‘Can-do’ attitude: Willingness to work with flexibility within a small team where task-based work is often shared across a team depending on availability more than strict adherence to job descriptions. Strong commitment to the ‘learning by doing’ approach.
- Cross-cultural understanding: Ability to respect and collaborate with people across different cultures and backgrounds and establish good working relationships.
- Growth mindset: High level of self-awareness and reflective capacity, both as an individual as well as in groups. Regularly engage in opportunities for learning and development.
- Creative and innovative: Confidence in advocating for innovative ways of working (both internally and externally), as well as ability to take constructive feedback in order to work creatively to purpose.
- Efficient self-management: Strong capacity in managing one’s work, efficient at working remotely and across online platforms. Also, the capacity to work to a task within agreed timeframes, maturity to communicate risks and negotiate boundaries. Able to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Problem-solving: Resilience in working in high pressure situations and capacity to confront challenges with maturity, strategic thinking and patience.
Interested applicants are requested to write to email@example.com by 5pm (Indochina Time) 9 August 2020. The application should include the following:
- A cover letter demonstrating how you meet the job profile and required competencies (no more than 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae (no more than 2 pages)
- Example of an unedited piece of writing (no more than 2 pages)
- At least two referees
ที่ปรึกษา / Consultantนักวิจัย / Researcher