Terms of Reference
Position: SES Project Lead - Thailand
Project: Seagrass Ecosystem Services (SES) Project
Conservation of biodiversity, seagrass ecosystems and their services – safeguarding food security and resilience in vulnerable coastal communities in a changing climate
Work location: Trang province
Expected start date: As soon as possible
Types of contract: Full time, Fixed-term, 1 year contract
(Opportunity for extension based on performance and funding support)
This is an ambitious SES project to support the conservation of vulnerable seagrass ecosystems and coastal livelihoods at target sites in Southeast Asia. The project involves partner NGOs, communities and research organisations across a number of coastal states, and is managed by the United Nations Environment Programme, represented by the Convention on Migratory Species Secretariat, based in Abu Dhabi, with support from the German Government’s Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
This project aims to put seagrass on the global conservation agenda through groundbreaking research and policy development whilst trying to reduce the reliance of local community groups/NGOs on donor funding by developing business models that contribute to ongoing and sustainable funding for community led seagrass conservation efforts in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Timor-Leste.
The Save Andaman Network Foundation (SAN) is a national partner within the project and is responsible for the delivery of the project in Thailand. SAN will work closely with implementing partners Blue Ventures and MRF, local government representatives, international technical advisors and coastal communities to develop and deliver an integrated workplan to achieve the project’s goals and objectives.
The SES Project Lead for Thailand will work under the supervision of the Save Andaman Network Foundation Director and work closely with the Project Manager from Blue Ventures and the UNEP/CMS Dugong MOU Secretariat SES Project Manager. The major responsibilities include:
1. Project implementation (60%)
- Lead SAN’s role in the project; Conservation of biodiversity, seagrass ecosystems and their services – safeguarding food security and resilience in vulnerable coastal communities in a changing climate to ensure systems, processes and workflows are in place and followed.
- Lead the day-to-day implementation of the SES deliverables in collaboration with the local stakeholders and project partners.
- Develop and track activities against the annual workplan, including monitoring, evaluation and achievement of SES project goals and outcomes.
- Coordinate and liaise closely with implementing partner Blue Ventures and business partner EnerGaia on the development of integrated business models.
- Lead the implementation of the community-based business models; building community capacity and business readiness.
- Support the development and evaluation of the mechanisms for reinvestment of business generated funds into community-led seagrass conservation.
- Manage and monitor the business development project budget, ensuring compliance with project agreements.
- Undertake travel relating to project implementation such as national and international planning meetings and workshops.
- Carry out ad hoc project tasks assigned by SAN, BV and the UNEP/CMS Dugong MOU Secretariat.
2. Technical support (20%)
- Provide added technical support to SAN and support the effective exchange of information among project partners.
- Coordinate project activities with relevant SES project technical partners.
- Lead research on local SES and provide guidance and orientation to research partners to ensure the research carried out by technical partners is done efficiently and to a high quality.
- Provide technical support to coastal communities through capacity building, training and knowledge sharing workshops.
- Organize and facilitate regular consultation with project partners.
- On-going analysis of project research and data to provide supporting information for written articles, scientific journals and communication pieces.
3. Communication and partnership 10%)
- Maintain effective communication and act as an intermediary between SAN and key project partners Blue Ventures, UNEP/CMS Dugong MOU Secretariat, MRF, technical advisor partners and relevant stakeholders.
- Facilitate collaboration and networking with other project NGOs, government representatives, coastal communities and other relevant institutions to enhance visibility of project activities.
- With support from partners develop multimedia communications including press releases and content pieces.
- Represent SAN at national and international meetings and workshops.
4. Reporting (10%)
- Lead on finance and narrative progress reports for implementing partners to ensure responsibilities and delivery of SES Project activities and outcomes are on schedule.
- Develop technical partner reporting structures.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in marine science, biology, environmental management, fisheries, ecology, business management or other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years experience working in marine natural resources, fisheries, climate change, community work, academic research institute, NGO, or government organization.
- Experience of working with multiple external partners to achieve successful project delivery.
- Fluency in English and Thai (oral and written) is required and will be critical to the role.
- An understanding of project management and experience managing budgets.
- Effective report writing and analytical skills.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint including social media and meeting applications).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to work in remote community areas.
- Experience of managing funding from and relationships with foundations, institutional donors or similar commercial partnerships
- Experience working for a conservation organisation
- Experience of community based tourism
- Experience working with seagrass or blue carbon
- This is a national role only (must be a Thai citizen).
- Strong organization and delegation skills.
- Able to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Highly motivated and flexible.
Salary: Competitive based on experiences and qualifications.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31/07/2020 and kindly include “SES Project Lead - Thailand” and your name in the subject line. Please note that due to the expected high interest in this role only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews. Part of the interview process will be in English.
นักพัฒนาโครงการ / Creative content developerผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager