At RECOFTC, we believe in a future where people live equitably and sustainably in and beside healthy, resilient forests. We take a long-term, landscape-based and inclusive approach to supporting local communities to secure their land and resource rights, stop deforestation, find alternative livelihoods and foster gender equity. We are the only non-profit organization of our kind in Asia and the Pacific. We have more than 30 years of experience working with people and forests, and have built trusting relationships with partners at all levels. Our influence and partnerships extend from multilateral institutions to governments, private sector and local communities. Our innovations, knowledge and initiatives enable countries to foster good forest governance, mitigate and adapt to climate change, and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda.
RECOFTC is inviting applications for the position of Program Manager for Explore, a research network and community of practice, which is dedicated to expanding and applying knowledge on forest landscape governance in Southeast Asia. The successful applicant will be based in the RECOFTC main office in Bangkok, Thailand, but a remote working arrangement may be considered for the first six months of the contract. The contract duration is for 24 months with a possibility of extension subject to funding availability and satisfactory performance.
Specific tasks and duties
The Program Manager is a member of the Program Coordination and Technical Services Unit and works under the supervision of the Unit Director. The Program Manager works closely with the University Network Partnerships Coordinator and together they form a Program Secretariat. The Program Manager is the head of the Program Secretariat and is supported by the University Network Partnerships Coordinator and a Finance/Grants Officer. The Secretariat is responsible for setting up and strengthening the Explore research network and community of practice with universities in Southeast Asia, hosted by RECOFTC, and implemented in close collaboration with the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR).
The Program Manager’s main duties will be to:
- Liaise with the Explore Project Advisory Committee (PAC) drawn from academics, policymakers and forest governance experts from around the world
- Review and finalize PAC meeting minutes and share with network members
- Prepare quarterly progress reports to the PAC and annual program review and financial reports to the funding agency, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), as required under the program grant agreement
- Coordinate closely with the PAC on various aspects of program delivery, including on the gender assessment and criteria for small grant selection
- Prepare documentation and key deliverables for Sida and other donors which may be interested in supporting the network
- Prepare and submit to Sida updated work plans and budgets covering the period 1 October to 30 September each year, by 15 October every year
- Facilitate annual meetings with Sida to discuss results achieved, lessons-learned and program adaptations made by the PAC and/or Secretariat
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team with regard to monitoring, evaluation and learning of the project and ensure required data collection process for the annual reports
- Work with RECOFTC’s Grant Manager in the design, implementation and monitoring of guidelines for a small grant mechanism targeting universities in Southeast Asia
- Provide leadership and oversight for development and monitoring of formal partnership agreements (MoUs, partnership agreements, letters of agreement) with network members and small grants agreement
- Together with the Executive Office and the Grant Manager, monitor grant agreements with openness and transparency
- Promote understanding of RECOFTC’s whistleblower policy to ensure that all partners and network members are aware of it and know how to use it during the project implementation
- Develop and maintain a network database of researchers, small grant recipients and mentors involved in the program implementation
- Provide oversight for a regional inception workshop to be attended by university representatives, researchers, representatives from local communities, networks, development organizations and news media
- Liaise with CIFOR regarding gathering technical inputs into the program implementation and with its representative on the PAC
- Supervise the Secretariat’s coordination with RECOFTC’s seven country offices and provide recommendations on how to engage with universities in ways that will benefit the network and potentially RECOFTC’s implementation of its four strategic goals
- Contribute to the production of high-quality, effective and influential content focusing around the program’s key objectives and scope
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the PAC, Program Coordination and Technical Services unit director and/or the Executive Director
Qualifications and experience
The Program Manager must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in environmental science, social science, political science or natural resource management
- Minimum 10 years of experience implementing and monitoring budgets for a similar research network or multi-country/regional projects on natural resource management or forest governance
- Extensive experience in project management including planning and funding/financial management and monitoring
- Strong work ethics
- Extensive experience in working with universities on research or other types of collaboration
- Experience working collaboratively with professional communication teams in similar network contexts
- Strong team building, leadership and networking skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Willingness to work in the RECOFTC main office in Bangkok or in a telework arrangement in ways that build comradery with staff, the Secretariat and the PAC
- Assuming that COVID-19 travel restrictions are lifted, a willingness and ability to travel to countries for university coordination, awareness raising and fiscal oversight of grants with the implementing partners of the network
- Champions gender equity and social inclusion in natural resource management and the development sector
- Experience in natural resource management, participatory research and participatory action research
- Familiarity with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems and principles
- Knowledge of one or more regional languages, especially those of Mekong countries
- Good understanding of the role of universities in informing regional and transboundary policy decisions
- Strong public speaking, facilitation and convening skills
- Good training and facilitation skills, especially encouraging participatory processes with adult learning
- Familiarity with engagement, knowledge management and communication concepts, processes and technologies
RECOFTC’s core values
At RECOFTC, our core values are the foundation of our culture and guide all our work. In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics, attitudes and skills:
- Embrace innovation
- Adapt to, and learn from, challenges
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders
- Nurture commitment, responsibility and ownership
- Prioritize sustainability
- Cultivate participation, social inclusion and gender equity
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit a CV and a cover letter indicating why they are suitable for this position along with salary requirements and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors to email@example.com. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. RECOFTC has a competitive compensation package. Offers are based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
Applicants shall not be discriminated against based on ethnicity, religion, age, nationality, physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, colour, marital status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by RECOFTC’s values and code of conduct. Reasonable accommodation may be made so that qualified disabled applicants can partake in the application process. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Please inform RECOFTC’s Human Resources in writing of any special needs at the time of application.
RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
RECOFTC retains the right to offer this position at a job grade relevant to the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
ผู้จัดการโปรเจค / Project manager