Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces
Under the direct supervision of Senior Laboratory Technical Officer, the Laboratory Assistant will be responsible for day to day support of laboratories activities in refugee camps;. He/she will support the Senior Laboratory Technical Officer in carrying out laboratory activities by monitoring visits, providing regular feedback and trainings to camp based laboratory stipend workers. He/she will assist in conducting and monitoring in laboratory quality assurance, procurement, inventory management, and maintenance of laboratory supplies and equipment. This position is based in the IRC Office in Umphang, Tak province, Thailand
1. Assist the Senior Laboratory Technical Officer in supporting laboratory services in Umpiem and Nupo camp
- Provide day to day support of camp based laboratory staff in Umpiem and Nupo camp.
- Support Senior Laboratory Technical Officer in making sure that IRC guidelines and protocols are understood and followed by the laboratory technicians
- Ensure proper adherence to safety regulations while undertaking laboratory tasks
- Ensure proper laboratory waste management
- Identify issues and problems in the Laboratory activities and assist in finding solutions
- Provide feedback and finding to supervisor
2. Assist in Improving the laboratory technician knowledge and skill
- Assist the recruitment process of trainee and conduct initial training for new laboratory technicians following IRC training curriculum& practicum
- Assist and conduct refresher training and on the job training for laboratory technicians in 2 camps.
- Assist in developing training materials in coordination with Senior Laboratory Technical Officer.
- Assist in conducting biannual assessment of knowledge and practice of laboratory technicians
3. Ensure proper use and maintenance of lab equipment and supplies at camp level
- Check stock cards and inventory, and storage in the camps monthly
- Ensure maintenance and good condition of laboratory materials and equipment and coordinate their replacement/repair if needed
- Validate and supervise the delivery of laboratory items in collaboration with camp base lab supervisors in the camps.
Form Updated June 2016
- Check the lab registers and carry out monthly data collection of the laboratory data, verify the data with camp base lab supervisors and senior laboratory technical officer.
- Enter in the lab data in the reporting format on monthly basis and provide analysis trough monthly general lab reports.
- Prepare monthly camp laboratory – inventory reports and validate with senior laboratory technical officer.
- Provide information on laboratory activities as required by supervisor whenever needed.
5. Quality Control
- Assist Senior Laboratory Technical Officer to perform internal quality control of tuberculosis and malaria smears for Umpiem and Nupo camps (every two months).
- Assist Senior Laboratory Technical Officer to perform internal quality check of RDTs (such as HIV, Hep- B and C, Syphilis) and sputum AFB smears in Umpiem and Nupo camps regularly.
- Facilitate external quality control for malaria smears and sputum AFB smears and analyze the quality control results and initiate appropriate actions accordingly.
- Participate in panel slide testing sent from DMSc for the improvement of camp base laboratory staffs.
- Collect the laboratory results from Mae Sot Hospital and distribute to each camp in time.
- Other assignment as assigned by supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Laboratory Technical Officer
Position directly supervises: none
Indirect Reporting: none Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Senior Health Coordinator, Health Coordinator, Mae Sot Field Coordinator, Maesot and Umphang Senior Clinical Managers, Maesot Operation team, IRC health staff in all Thailand sites, IRC program unit, IRC operations unit, IRC finance unit,
External: Local community-based partner organizations, Thai public health authorities, Tak Public Health Office, non-governmental organizations
- Medical Laboratory Technology or diploma in medical laboratory technology
- Minimum of one years of experiences in laboratory management, capacity building and quality control.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent in team work and good communicating skill
- Professional character
- Excellent training and facilitation skills
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- High sense of integrity and commitment
- Ability to use computer; MS word, Excel and Power point
- Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions
Form Updated June 2016
- Working in refugee camp setting or a developing country strongly preferred
- Fluency in Burmese and English
- Other local languages, such as Karen and Thai are an added advantage
Certificates or Licenses:
.Med.Tech (Medical Laboratory Technology) or diploma in medical laboratory technology.
Working Environment: The position will be based in the IRC office in Umphang with regular traveling to Umpiem, Nupo camp. Optionally to assist in Maela camp as necessary.
All applications will be treated confidentially and not returned. The IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or physical or mental disability. The IRC is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested, Please apply via link below:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 16 Oct 2019
Contact : Human Resources Department