Innovative Human Rights NGO Seeks
Protection and Paralegal Officer in Bangkok, Thailand
About Asylum Access
Asylum Access is a leading refugee human rights organization headquartered in Oakland, CA with substantial operations in three countries plus partnerships in additional countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Asylum Access is the only global organization working to make human rights a reality for refugees in first countries of refuge. Asylum Access envisions a world where refugees are seen as people with rights, not just people with needs. Asylum Access believes that by empowering refugees to assert their human rights, we can create effective, lasting solutions for refugees around the world.
Through Asylum Access Global Services, we partner with national and international NGOs in Africa, Asia (including the Middle East) and Latin America to help them replicate relevant aspects of Asylum Access’s model. Through Asylum Access Global Services, we aim to create a world where refugees can participate in national economies, communities and civic spaces wherever they find themselves, building new lives in safe homes.
The Protection and Paralegal Officer to assist the Legal Team (Protection Unit) to provide protection counselling and legal services to asylum seekers and refugees seeking international protection under UNHCR’s mandate, as well as supervise community paralegals to serve the needs of refugee communities.
- Train community paralegals from different asylum seeker communities;
- Continue the development of the community paralegal training program in conjunction with the Protection Team Leader;
- Provide ongoing support and supervision to the community paralegals in conducting legal clinics in the community, with the support of the Protection Team;
- Monitor and evaluate the paralegal program as required by the project donor;
- Provide legal advice to clients on UNHCR Procedure and RSD (Group/ Individual);
- Provide full legal representation where appropriate at first instance, appeal, and on protection cases. Functions related to representation of RSD cases include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Preparation of written statements
- Assisting in drafting of legal arguments/submissions
- Obtaining documents to support client cases such as witness statement, medical reports, etc.
- Preparation of clients for RSD interviews at UNHCR
- Representing and visiting clients in Immigration Detention Centre (IDC)
- Follow-up on the status of client cases with the UNHCR;
- Provide advice to refugees on matters relating to Thai immigration and criminal law, and other legislation that may affect the urban refugee population;
- To assess extra-legal client needs and refer them to the Community Outreach Team or other external organizations as appropriate;
- Undertake comprehensive case management practices, including maintaining database records and keeping detailed notes of all case work activities;
- Maintain good working knowledge of UNHCR guidelines, processes and procedures;
- Adhere to the Nairobi Code of Ethics, AAT Code of Conduct, policies, and manuals;
- Assist other members of the Legal Team regarding issues related to the urban refugee population;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with asylum seeker and refugee communities in Bangkok;
- Attend and contribute to weekly Legal Team meetings and other staff meetings;
- Maintain strong financial records and procedures as per the AAT Finance policy, and ensure proper financial documentation of all activities;
- Other work as assigned by supervisor.
- University degree in law.
- Extensive experience in development fields, especially in human rights. Refugee rights is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people in vulnerable situations, such as trauma survivors.
- Fluent English with a high level of writing and drafting legal documents;
- A positive and out-going attitude with the ability to work well in a diverse and multi- cultural office.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Gmail, Google Drive, and related tools (Docs, Sheets, Calendar, etc.)
- University degree in law.
- Thai natinal.
- A minimum 2 years experience working in human rights or refugee related field. Previous experience working with paralegals or community protection mechanisms would be an advantage.
- Experience in wrking with people from a wide variety of cultures and with interpreters;
- Experience wrking in projects financed by international donors and fulfilling project requirements;
- Demnstrated ability to work with people in vulnerable situations, such as trauma survivors and victims of SGBV and victims of crime.
- Fluent English with a high level f written English and experience drafting legal documents;
- A psitive, pro-active and out-going attitude with the ability to work well in a diverse and multi-cultural office.
Hours and Location of Work
The Protection and Paralegal Officer is a full-time position based in our offices in Bangkok, Thailand. Candidates should be aware that some flexibility regarding working hours is required in order to take out of hours calls and meetings with international colleagues.
Position comes with a competitive nonprofit salary, and a robust benefits package.
Application Instructions to Candidates
Send your resume, cover letter and a concise writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line “Protection and Paralegal Officer - AAT”, by May 13, 2021 In your cover letter, please describe your reasons for applying, relevant qualifications, preferred start date, and how you learned about the position.
Asylum Access is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. For more information about our organization, visit www.asylumaccess.org
ผู้ประสานงาน / Coordinatorเจ้าหน้าที่ประจำสำนักงาน / Officer